Rapidly developing variations of AI programs such as Chat GPT are revolutionizing the way that we create content. Chat GPT transforms the way that we interact with and compile information to create content for our businesses and brands.
Chat GPT specifically uses a very expansive knowledge base to transform questions asked in natural, everyday language into answers to your complex problems with precision and accuracy. Aside from the platform’s ability to be analytical, it is also remarkably creative, and can assist users with several “creative” tasks from writing poetry, to determining someone’s personal writing style and replicating it. Chat GPT also can analyze images and develop captions or classifications for them. Another function of Chat GPT is to analyze longform content (up to 25,000 words). This opens a whole range of possibilities in terms of its capacity for processing information.
There is no denying how impressive this tool has become, but many anxieties have arisen concerning the capability of platforms such as Chat GPT to surpass the human capacity for content creation, and even to override content creators’ ability to produce their own work.
This fear is totally valid, and based in a legitimate understanding of the influence that AI has on our society and will continue to have. But this conversation isn’t complete until it is approached with nuance as opposed to blind anxiety or panic. Truthfully, it is most advantageous to view Chat GPT, and similar variations of this platform as tools for human tasks, rather than entities that will sabotage our work.
To help break down this argument, let’s look at some pros and cons of Chat GPTs functioning, specifically applied to the world of content creation and marketing.
Positives & Negatives of AI Content
Some positive and useful functions of Chat GPT are:
- Large-scale base of knowledge: This platform has access to a tremendous amount of information. This allows it to provide answers to an expansive range of questions.
- Always learning: As a program, Chat GPT is designed to learn from its mistakes, and from every single interaction it has with a user. This means that the more you use the program, it supposedly becomes more nuanced and accurate in its responses.
- Understands “natural” language: When using Chat GPT, there is no need to modify the level of casualness/colloquialism in your speech. It has been designed to understand and respond to “natural” speech patterns.
These various features make Chat GPT an ideal program to collaborate with. This can range from simple questions to more complex queries.
However, for all of its positive elements, Chat GPTs’ cons show us that it cannot exist alone—that it needs humans to feed it, and to uniquely and creatively complete tasks.
A couple of its main cons include:
- Lack of understanding of context: because Chat GPT operates based on an algorithm and can only function from its current knowledge base, context often escapes it. As a result of its struggles with getting the bigger picture, it may spit out inaccurate responses unrelated to your intended search.
- Security challenges: Of course, when using any AI model, it is important to recognize that your searches/data are not always protected in the way you might want. Be aware that interacting with Chat GPT might expose you to privacy & security concerns. Especially in the context of Marketing, using an AI Model for company-related tasks, rather than just personal matters could be especially fragile.
- Limited knowledge of world events since September 2021.
- Lastly, and probably most importantly, Chat GPT lacks the innate curiosity and creativity that humans possess. It is also prone to biases that are coded into the algorithm.
An Evolving Content Tool
Clearly, there are a range of positives and negatives associated with using Chat GPT and similar platforms as part of your company’s marketing strategy. The goal is to strike a balance, and to continue using it supplementally, and like an assistive tool rather than an all-encompassing strategy.
Learn more about in this related blog, where we discuss specific tips regarding how to use AI to improve your marketing strategy.